Friday, May 23, 2008

Back into it

My my, Walter's flyball has been terribly neglected lately due mostly to agility and Lucy's flyball tournaments. At the Trenton tournament last weekend a lightbulb came on for me: Now that Walter knows how to settle and relax flyball-ringside, it's time to key him back up and get him tugging in the midst of all that noise and activity! So I brought out his new favourite tug and we tugged while the races were going on. He did pretty well.

Yes, his new favourite tug is one that's been kicking around buried in the car trunk for a while that we had hardly ever used. Well, a while back we drove to a park and I realized we hadn't brought his usual fetch/tug toys so why not try that one. A few outings with that toy and he's crazy for it now! It's the pocket fire hose tug from Crash Test Toys. I cut the loop handle to make a longer non-loop handle with a knot on the end. Only problem is, it's so short that he sometimes catches my hand, owwwwwwch. An order for a new longer one has been placed. :-)

This is the tug we've been using for tracking and as I said he really, really loves it. So, gonna start using it for flyball in the hopes that his enthusiasm for it will transfer to the flyball game.

Did some dead ball retrieves rewarding with this tug today. Oh yeah and he seems to prefer being held by the waist instead of the collar. Can't wait to get back into flyball practice and get this guy on track! How sad that it's two years ago June that he was first introduced to the ball with the turn. Sigh!!!

No comments: