Monday, May 29, 2006

Monday May 29th 2006 - catch-up entry

(Backfilled in October 2009 due to impending closure of Geocities)

Walter's first foray into the world of flyball was in the winter of 2006 in a beginner's course. I had gone through a beginner flyball course with Lucy the previous fall, and I had practiced some of the homework with Walter at that time, so we had a bit of a headstart. I found that Walter got bored sooner than Lucy did since he doesn't share Lucy's tremendous treat motivation drive. But he quickly picked up on the over-and-back with the eavestrough setup (he turns counterclockwise), and recalls went fairly well although he didn't like me leaving him behind. Unfortunately he didn't get up on the box by the end of the course. I blame this on me not having anything decent to practice on at home -- the home setup I used for Lucy (carpet-covered plank leaning against a wall) was no good for Walter because it was too small, and I hadn't gotten around to constructing something better.

No comments: